Better Wheels than Heels
When you have something to move do not carry it; move it with a wheeled device. Keep the weight on the wheels not your heels. It will be safer and faster to:
- Provide hand trucks and carts.
- Keep them readily accessible.
- Consider adjustable height carts.
- Conduct observations to follow the movement of heavy items.
- Avoid lifting from the floor whenever possible.
- If you must lift from the floor, do not bend at the waist.
- Keep the load close to your body and lift by pushing up with your legs.
- The techniques shown below help the worker to keep the spine in a safer position while lifting from the floor
Caution: This technique may be effective only if loads are small, light weight, and can easily fit between the knees. For more complete information: CDC NIOSH Publications webpage.