Safety Resource Library

Electrical: Burns Internal

Excessive electricity flowing through the human body can cause serious damage to internal organs. Resulting medical problems include hemorrhage (or internal bleeding), tissue destruction, and nerve or muscle damage.

These internal injuries may not be immediately apparent or only appear minor; however, left untreated, they can result serious injury or death.

This worker was shocked by a tool he was holding. The entrance wound and thermal burns from the overheated tool are apparent.

Same hand a few days later, when massive subcutaneous tissue damage had caused severe swelling. (Swelling usually peaks 24 – 72 hours after electrical shock.)

Always seek medical treatment after electrical shock.

For more information visit the OSHA Electrical Burn Examples web page.

This library resource is located in the following industry type(s): , ,