Clutter in storage areas is a significant hazard.
- • It is critical to keep the walkways clear at all times.
- Storage areas tend to be a high traffic zone with employees moving product throughout the day.
- Employees are carrying items that block their view, making it harder to see items that are in their path.
- Carrying items changes the employee’s center of gravity making balance more difficult.
- Typically, falls that occur while employees are carrying boxes or other items tend to have more injuries. This is due to the employee holding onto the items; thus, they can’t put their hands out to catch themselves.
- Do not allow items to be stored on the floor in front of shelves. These items present trip hazards and employees may be tempted to stand on theses items.
This library resource is located in the following industry type(s): Safety Culture