Don’t jump that curb!
- Equip each delivery truck with a portable ramp.
- The ramp should be lightweight and readily accessible.
- Many delivery sites do not have docks or built-in ramps.
- Without a ramp, the delivery person must jump the curb lifting the entire weight of the load.
- This strains the employee’s back and causes the load to be unstable.
- Provide and use curb ramps on every delivery truck.
- Provide fold down wheels on hand trucks that move heavy loads, so the load can be self supporting. This ensures that the employee must only provide force in a horizontal direction.
- Consider powered stair climbing hand trucks for moving heavy items on stairs.
For more complete information visit the OSHA Hand Trucks webpage.